“A knowing misrepresentation of the truth or concealment of a material fact to induce another to act to his or her detriment. Fraud includes any intentional or deliberate act to deprive another of property or money by guile, deception, or other unfair means”.
Sadly, fraud happens … it happens a lot.
Whether you are a small business, not-for-profit organization, estate executor, individual or someone with helping with the care of a loved one, you could be a target for fraud. My firm, combining the professional skills and training of both myself and my colleague Richard Lavin, LPI (a Licensed Private Investigator and retired RCMP member with over 10 years of fraud and economic crime investigation experience), assist clients and their advisors in uncovering allegations of fraud. Our experience includes investigating:
- Power of Attorney abuse
- Estate fraud
- Employee fraud including phantom employee, expense account and phantom supplier schemes
- Not-for-profit abuse including theft of assets from community organizations
- Real estate fraud
- Financial statement manipulation
- Planned bust outs and other types of bankruptcy fraud
We work with individuals and organizations, along with their lawyers, to determine when fraud happened and prepare reports to explain how and how much. Our supports are used in both civil and criminal actions and, if necessary, we will support our reports by giving evidence in Courts of Law to back up their contents.
We also work with individuals and organizations to help with fraud prevention. These services include:
- Providing fraud risk analysis of small companies and not-for-profit organizations
- Seminars on fraud schemes and how to the risk of you becoming a victim
- Seminars for specific groups including seniors and not-for-profits so they can learn of the warning signs for fraud and learn where and how they can get help if they think they’ve been victimized